Monday, August 6, 2012

Bagram

Bagram airfield (BAF) is one of the other large military bases in Afghanistan, like Kandahar. BAF is one of the most typical army bases I have been to in the middle east. Hot, dirty and dusty, people and vehicles everywhere. Not much to see or do here except work, eat and sleep.

Here I am standing in the C130 that took me from Kandahar, via Kabul, to Bagram. This is at Kabul International Airport (KIA) after the worst flight of my life. The plane was crowded, the air was hot and stifling, and my borrowed IBA was too small and I could barely breath in it. A two hour flight that seemed to never end.

 A shot of the mountains around Kabul
 Another C130 right next to ours
 A very typical shot of BAF, endless lines of dirty metal buildings

 This is the Corp building that we worked in during our time there
 A windy day at BAF
 This was my sanctuary, after a twelve hour work day, watching TV on my computer in my tented up bunk bed. Note Frank of Shameless on the computer.
 From the second story of my billet
 I found this map pretty interesting. The red areas are interior to the wire on BAF and are still considered live mine areas that haven't been cleared yet. I ran by the one at the very top of the map. The blue areas are cleared and the yellow are areas that are assumed cleared due to occupancy. The areas I lived in were all in a yellow area.
 Guess what I was wearing when I took a picture of this sign.
 This is a pretty standard scenic running route at BAF

No comments:

Post a Comment