Tuesday, March 27, 2012

Camp Integrity

Camp Integrity is the location of the Kabul Resident office. The district headquarters is at Qalaa house, but all the projects in and around Kabul are run out of Camp Integrity. It is a lot different than a typical Afghanistan FOB since it is a Blackwater (or whatever their name is now) facility. They rent out space to various people, USACE being one of them. Since the army isn't in charge of it, the place is about 100% nicer than anyplace else I have been in Afghanistan.

This is the main building, billeting office, MWR, PX and laundry.


This is barracks #1, where my room was.


The hallway in my barracks, they kept it spotless.





This was easily the nicest room I have ever had in Afghanistan, sort of like a run down Motel 6 with a shared bathroom (such luxury!)



This is the TOC building, where the USACE employees work and I worked while there.



That little yellow door in the middle leads to the best part of Camp Integrity, the big building on the left, the DFAC.



The food in this place was, for the most part, fantastic. Everything was home made, not cafeteria food at all. I had some of the best lasagna I have ever had in my life there. Linen tablecloths, metal utensils, crazy.



And of course, all kids love Sammy the bear.






This is one of the buildings they refer to as the villas. The billets in these are basically apartments with kitchens, big screen TVs, couches, etc. Not surprising the division people from my office have chosen to stay here, instead of crappy Qalaa house.



The streets in this place are lined with these weird midget street lights.



Camp Integrity is located on the north edge of town, just south of the mountains.



We were told that as recently as a few months ago, prior to a horrific incident where a USACE employee from this base was murdered by a local, they used to go every weekend and hike up that mountain in a big group. I would have loved to do that, unfortunately it isn't an option any more.



And finally, yours truly waiting for a ride back to Qalaa outside the TOC.


No comments:

Post a Comment