This is the plane, Global Air, that I flew in on from Kabul, with three stops along the way. My seat was directly adjacent to that engine on the left side.
This picture depicts something I always look for when I have a window seat near the wings, but had never seen until this time. This probably is the scariest thing I have seen in my travels in Afghanistan. Note the bolt in the middle of the picture.
This is the entrance to PRT Meymaneh, coming from the airstrip.

The main administration building with the flags of all the multinational troops that have served there.

The logo for the place, some sort of eagle maybe? Looks kind of like a parrot to me.
The main administration building with the flags of all the multinational troops that have served there.
The logo for the place, some sort of eagle maybe? Looks kind of like a parrot to me.
"Yield not to misfortunes, but advance all the more boldly against them", from Virgil

This is the USACE office, on the second floor. Note the staircase that is almost a ladder. Norwegians aren't so much about ADA compliance. Climbing up that with body armor on sure was fun.

This was my room, a tiny little tin box but mine all mine.

The Norwegian kids really seem to like to have fun. The weather finally broke, it warmed up right before I got there. They were all lounging around in european style swimwear getting sun tans. I saw more nordic types with bad sunburns than I have ever seen before.

Their rock climbing wall on a guard tower in the middle of camp.

A lot of these places have blimps they float over the camp during the day to use for survelliance. I caught it early before they floated it up.

There were two downsides to this place, food and water. The food was very odd, there was moose at almost every meal, not exactly my favorite. Also they eat healthy so there was no american style stuff that I'm used to, and worst thing, no diet coke!

Apparently they have been trying to drill a water well in the middle of camp for quite some time, with no success. It made a whole lot of noise anyway.

This cool old gun was next to one of the Norwegian barracks.

Some of the Latvian vehicles that they took out on patrol most every day.
This is the USACE office, on the second floor. Note the staircase that is almost a ladder. Norwegians aren't so much about ADA compliance. Climbing up that with body armor on sure was fun.
This was my room, a tiny little tin box but mine all mine.
The Norwegian kids really seem to like to have fun. The weather finally broke, it warmed up right before I got there. They were all lounging around in european style swimwear getting sun tans. I saw more nordic types with bad sunburns than I have ever seen before.
Their rock climbing wall on a guard tower in the middle of camp.
A lot of these places have blimps they float over the camp during the day to use for survelliance. I caught it early before they floated it up.
There were two downsides to this place, food and water. The food was very odd, there was moose at almost every meal, not exactly my favorite. Also they eat healthy so there was no american style stuff that I'm used to, and worst thing, no diet coke!
There is also a major shortage of water here, so much so that most of the toilets and showers in camp are dry all day long, just working at night. This included the ones at our billets, which made for a long walk to go to the bathroom.
Below is one of the water storage bladders.
Apparently they have been trying to drill a water well in the middle of camp for quite some time, with no success. It made a whole lot of noise anyway.
This cool old gun was next to one of the Norwegian barracks.
Some of the Latvian vehicles that they took out on patrol most every day.

No comments:
Post a Comment