Camp Eggers is a military base right next to the Qalaa House. It is used by all US branches of the military, as well as tons of multinational troops. There are foreigners with guns everywhere you look. There isn't much to do at Qalaa, and there is only slightly more to do at Eggers, but boredome drives us over there nonetheless. Below is the beginning of the heavily reinforced entry path from Qalaa to Eggers. Afghan guards about every 50 feet checking id's.

Chuck and Joyce in the very tunnel-like path to Eggers.

The 50 gallon drums on the right are meant for discharging your firearm into after you remove the clip. I saw plenty of soldiers do this, thank god none of them forgot to empty the chamber beforehand.

For some unknown reason we go almost every day to the Goat DFAC to eat lunch at Eggers. The food is just as unappealing as at Qalaa DFAC, but there are a lot more choices at least. We sort of figure the name comes from the main ingredient they probably use in most of the meat dishes.

There are countless numbers of dudes like the ones below with automatic weapons.

These are what are refered to as MRAPs (Mine resistant ambush protected). They have an insane amount of armor on them. I have been told that I will travel from one site to another site in one later on, and I am pretty excited. They appear to be the safest thing short of a tank.

These are the flags of the multinational troops. I saw soldiers from at least a dozen countries in my short time here.
Living vicariously as friends post their photos from around the world. Have to say, Brian, it looks a little bleak in your neck of the woods (in comparison to say, Jakarta). I'll bet the mountains are beautiful though. Good thing they raised all those multi-national flags to add some color to the scene.
ReplyDeleteGoatees are a prereq to gain entrance to Goat DFAC, are they?
Yikes Brian...a bit brown isn't it? Yeah, not too appropriate to strike a pose out in the open. What about the picture of the hallway? Maybe some inversions????
ReplyDelete